Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Birthday America!!!


This past Friday we celebrated a very important holiday I sometimes take for granted, the Fourth of July. We are so blessed to live in this country and to experience the freedom's we enjoy. Often I think about the fireworks and the BBQ, but not the real reason for the holiday, the birth of our nation. Luckily, Derek absolutely loves the Fourth of July, or is it just the boneless pork ribs Steve makes that he loves so much? We explained the holiday to Cole as America's birthday, and since our family makes a pretty big deal about birthdays, or at least I do, I think he realized that the day was special. Now if he could only figure out who America is:) I don't really expect him to understand, but we had a good time singing happy birthday to America a few times that day. What he loved the most was spending time with the family.

In the afternoon we went to Grandma and Grandpa's for a BBQ. Everyone was in the pool and had a blast. Caden even went swimming in a waverunner float, and after a while he really enjoyed himself. Mitch and Lexie picked up some sparklers and snakes in New Mexico last week, and after dinner we lit a few, even though it was still light out. Cole held the sparklers for a little bit and loved watching the snakes grow.
That evening we went to Grandma Walkers, but Cole was so exhausted he slept the entire time. Derek chowed down on some of the beloved boneless pork chops Steve grilled and swam with Brandon, Dakota and Caden. We planned on watching the fireworks with Brandon, Dakota and Caden, but they started late. After 45 min of waiting, the boys were exhausted. Cole watched a few go off from the car, and then we called it quits. He was one tired boy, but he had such a fun day!

1 comment:

The McEnaney's said...

Hi Ashley,

I saw your blog on Sarah Boblett's blog. Your son is so big. I remember when he was born. Congratulations on your husband's new career move! Good to see you are doing so well.