Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Journey Begins

Well the last five months in our lives has been one stressful blur. It all started in early December when I was about 26weeks and my blood pressure started to increase. I have had high blood pressure off and on, so I was hoping that I would take some medication and continue on with an uneventful pregnancy. Well at 27 weeks our u/s showed that Grant was not growing well and the placenta was not supplying him with all that he needed. My 28 week u/s showed no end diastolic flow, which basically means that when my heart was not beating, he was not receiving any blood flow. From that u/s appointment I was admitted the hospital on December 11th and hoped to make the antepartum unit my home for the next three months.
Of course nothing really goes as planned and about four days later I woke up with quite a scare. My vision in my right eye was completely blurry. Of course then I completely freaked out and was certain I was having a stroke. The CAT scan was normal, but I had a ridiculous amount of protein in my urine, which solidified the diagnosis of preeclampsia. I was taken over to labor and delivery, and tried to mentally prepare myself for a c/s that day. I remember just laying in bed and crying, feeling Grant move in my belly for what I feared was the last time. Luckily the opthamalogist ruled that my vision loss was not from the preeclamsia, it was a result of fluid leaking in my retina due to stress, so it bought us a little more time. By that evening I basically could not see out of my right eye. The center of my vision was a big black circle and everything around it was a blur. I had to wear a lovely pirate patch because I was painful to even look out of it.
I was so grateful that I was able to continue the pregnancy longer, but the doctors warned that he would have to be delivered if I worsened at all. Well by December 24 my blood pressures continued to rise, and none of the medication was really helping, so we sadly decided that it was time for Grant to be born. So on 12/24 at 1223 our little Grant was born weighing only 2lbs 6 oz; my one wish was that he would at least try to cry, but we wouldn't hear his little voice until over a month later.

No comments: